You probably have had cream of mushroom soup, but have you had three different types of mushrooms in it before? Well then, you must give this a try! The mystery of this mouth-watering mushroom soup lies in these three gems: portebello, cremini and shiitake.
- 1 cup portebello mushrooms
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup cooking onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh thyme plus 1 tsp minced thyme leaves, divided
- 1 tbsp chicken bouillon paste (optional)
- 2 cups leeks, chopped (that’s roughly 2 leek sticks)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup half and half cream
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Salt and pepper
- Wash mushrooms and separate stems from caps.
- Coarsely chop all mushroom stems. Set aside.
- Slice mushroom caps. Set aside.
- For the stock, heat 1 tbsp butter and olive oil in a medium-sized pot. Add carrots, onions, mushroom stems, and a sprig of fresh thyme. Sautee for 10 mins under medium-low heat until vegetables are soft.
- Add chicken bouillon paste or/and salt and pepper.
- Add 1 cup of leeks. Sautee for another 5 mins until it starts to brown.
- Add 6 cups of water and boil uncovered under medium-low heat for 30 mins.
- Strain and reserve the liquid. (You can still eat the vegetables as a side dish)
- In a large pot, heat the remaining butter and leeks under low heat for 10 mins until leeks turn slightly brown. Add in mushroom caps and sautee for another 10 mins.
- Add the flour and cook for another 1 min. Add the white wine and stir until all ingredients are incorporated well and the flour is fully dissolved.
- Add the vegetable stock, minced thyme leaves and a teaspoon of salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil under low-medium for around 15 mins.
- Add half and half cream and whipping cream under low-medium heat. Stir constantly.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!
*Mix 2 teaspoon of cornstarch with 1 tbsp water thoroughly and add it into the soup for a thicker texture. Stir and enjoy!
Adapted from Ina Garten, Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup
One thought on “Cream of Triple Mushroom Soup”
Wow! Looks delicious!
LikeLiked by 1 person